1. First, you have to make sure that whatever you are writing about is relevant. If you know for a fact that your product could be very useful, then do some research about it and then end the article with a link to your website. Spell check and proof read it when finished or have someone else do it for you.
2. Just like what you read in the newspaper or see on television, the article must be both timely and newsworthy. This will allow you stay in touch with what is happening in the world. One good way to stay up on current events is signing up with a site that gives you alerts with regards to the latest happenings online. Google Alerts works well for this http://www.google.com/alerts
3. Make writing a regular activity. It’s best to write one or two articles per week if you can. Make writing a weekly task on your promotional schedule.
4. You should also make your articles viral. What this simply means is allowing other people to publish your article just as long as nothing is changed and you are given credit for it. Another way of doing this is offering your writing services to others which could mean more revenue for you. It’s easy to compile a list of ezine publishers and article directories where you can submit to on a regular basis.
5. Each article you write must be short and simple. It must be short so that it will not bore the reader. Simple so that they will be able to understand the message you are trying to convey. Less then 600 words is usually best if you want to see it published. If longer then that you can break it up into a article series.
6. Just how many articles must your write to increase traffic? The good news is that you only need 2 to get things started. A good title will be “ how to do something” and “ x number of tips for something.” If this catches their interest, that person will most likely click on the link to your site and then buy something.
7. If you have multiple websites, you can write more articles and then use different resource boxes at the end of each one to drive traffic to those sites too.
8. Aside from posting your written work in other websites, don’t forget to also put these in your own. If you have written 10 or more about the same topic, put these together to what is known as an e-book and then pass this along for free. Again, if people like what is written there then people wouldn’t remind reading it several times. PDF format is generally best for ebooks as it works on Mac or PC. Repackage your articles to get the most mileage out of them.
9. Aside from posting in websites, make use of RSS feeds. There are plenty of them around so make good use of them.
There are two ways to get into article marketing. The first is to write it yourself and just hope that people will appreciate your writing style. The other is to hire someone to do it. Some charge by the hour while others charge per word. It may be worth it if this increases traffic to your site. Another options is PLR, private label rights. This is content you can purchase or sometimes get for free and edit it and use it as you wish. If you need help there’s also software that will help with the writing process.
When article marketing is done as part of a weekly promotional schedule you’ll be surprised at the amount of free traffic you’ll pick up on a regular basis.