Thursday, September 16, 2010

"The Motorola Droid Saga Continues: Part 2"

Motorola MILESTONE smartphone displaying Wikip...Image via Wikipedia
So, I finally did it. I broke down and called Verizon yesterday about all of the problems I've been experiencing with my Motorola Droid since the Froyo 2.2 update. Before the update I LOVED my phone. I actually had fantasies of leaving my boyfriend for it, but then the update hit. The update that was suppose to make my life wonderful and bring a little Flash into my life.

Just for clarification purposes Motorola makes three different models of the Droid, the Original Droid, the Droid X and Droid 2. The Droid 2, which might be the way I end up going to solve my problems, comes with Froyo factory installed with a faster processor and an improved keyboard. Obviously, my thinking is it would be free from the update nightmare I'm currently experiencing with my original Droid.

Ever since Froyo it's as if my phone is possessed. It drops calls like crazy, the battery drains faster then a Greyhound racing at the track, and that's with hardly using it. Apps are locking up, and erroring out, and continually run in the background since the App Killer I was using also stopped working along with the 2.2 update. They say it's no longer needed that the new software manages apps just fine. Well, if that's true, why does it always say that apps are running in the background and even when I do a force close, they come right back? Go figure. Can you say annoying.

Anyway, I digress. Being not the complaining type (I listen to enough of that myself) rather choosing to solve my own problems, if possible, I finally made the call. Doing it only after spending hours online doing research, only to find hundreds of other people posting about the same crazy problems on various boards and forums. Apparently I wasn't alone in my new found misery. There were enough people saying the exact same things I was. This at least it verified my sanity. Well, maybe that's a stretch. There were others who had also fallen out of love with their Droid shortly after the Froyo update. Coincidence? I think not!

Upon calling Verizon (great customer service people by the way) they first suggested I update my roaming service which the nice lady said should stop my dropped call problems. My hopes aren't too high that this will remedy my phone dropping every single person I speak with, but hey I'm game for anything at this point. Then she transferred me to their tech department for all of my other "demonic possession" problems.

Upon explaining my problems and all of the research I had done online about others having the same issues she put me on hold to check. When she came back she stated there were no known issues at this time, but I could do a factory warranty swap out of the phone if I wanted to since it was only 6 months old. I declined her kindoffer and told her I'd wait it out for the "fix" that I'm sure they would come up with soon. Others online have said doing a factory reset fixes all,but when I asked her she didn't have much to say. But since she wasn't acknowledging there was a "real problem" what could she say. She did say she would put in a ticket so they would investigate further. I thanked her for her time and said goodbye.

A friend of mine (yes, I have a few)  also has the same phone and we have been comparing notes. She's about ready to throw hers out the window. Rather then calling she stopped into a Verizon store to discuss her problems. Her experience was much different. The salesman told her that they know all about these issues and are working on a software fix.

Two different experiences on the exact same problems. Does that mean I was lied to on the phone?  Or is it possible that the corporate office is so far removed from the actual customers they really don't know there's a problem? Again, this is all my opinion and my theory. But how could two people get two completely different answers?

For now I'm going to sit tight and wait it out. I want to fall in love with my Droid again and get that warm fuzzy feeling when I put it in my pocket.Our relationship needs some repair work and I'm crossing my fingers that Verizon will be supplying a remedy soon. All relationships need work, so why should my love/hate with a Droid be any different? They say "opposites attract".
Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. You really have perseverance and a sporting mind :) But yes considering Verizon's reputation you should be able to fall in love with your Droid again very soon

    ReplyDelete

Please leave your comments.