Monday, March 02, 2009

My New NetBook

I just finished watching "The Girls Next Door" and I gotta tell ya I'm a bit choked up. Yea, yea, go ahead and have your fun, but I really loved that show. Those damn twins had to come in and ruin everything. The kicker is Holly is the one who discovered them and brought them home in the first place. Then they turn around and take over the mansion. See what happens when you're nice.

Anyway, I wanted to fill you in on this cool little netbook I recently purchased. They call em e-machines or netbooks as they're way smaller then your traditional notebook and their sole purpose really is to surf the web and email. From the first time I say one in Cosco I had to have one. Now I have my trusty IBM workhorse so I really didn't need one, but I love gadgets and for a little over 300.00 how could I resist.

The one I bought is by ASUS and you can get a look at it here:
http://www.buy.com/prod/asus-eee-pc-904ha-8-9-netbook-intel-atom-n270-1-6ghz-1gb-160gb-hd/q/loc/101/209708382.html

The look of it is very sleek. It's shiny ebony case is very designer looking but it does have a drawback of holding onto my fingerprints. The FBI would love this thing (LOL). It has a high-resolution screen at 1024X600 but if you don't mind scrolling you can set it higher if you like. Wireless is built in so cyber cafe here I come. It also has 160 GB of storage, 1.3 Megapixel WebCamera. It has an Intel Atom N270 1.6GH processor inside with an 8.9" LCD display. There's also a nice multimedia memory slot in the front for your camera or phone card which makes it easy to upload your pictures.

I've always been an XP fan and this comes pre-loaded with Win XP home edition and Microsoft Works for your document creation. The keyboard is not that much smaller but it does take some getting use to and the touch mouse is new for me. I'd also like to see the mouse selection controls to be a little easier on the fingers. Besides that this thing is really tough. I know you're jealous, aren't ya. The size is unbelievable at about 10.47" X 7.53" and it weighs about 3Lbs. This one was a little heavier then some of the other models I looked at but it came with a 6 volt battery. Most of them come with a 3 or 4 volt so you'll want to pay attention to that when deciding on which one you want. To me the whole point of a netbook is to be wireless and what good would it be if the battery was dead all the time. This one should last about 5 hours on a full charge.

So there you have it. Merle has a new toy and now I'm off to play.